[EM] The Nash Equilibrium method for counting rankings. Other 'player' definition.

Alex Small asmall at physics.ucsb.edu
Mon Jan 5 11:39:02 PST 2004

Rob Speer said:
> On Mon, Jan 05, 2004 at 04:07:08PM +0000, MIKE OSSIPOFF wrote:
>>
>> I believe it was probably Alex who once suggested a method that
>> chooses the  candidate who wins at Nash equilibrium.
>>
>> Alex, could you repeat that method definition again?

I never designed such a method.  In some hypothetical discussions of "What
if you could design a method that was immune to strategic manipulation?"
(obviously a hypothetical) I observed that it would have to find a Nash
equilibrium for whatever method it uses, but the problem is that there can
be multiple equilibria with different winners.

To learn more about my notion of Nash equilibrium in various election
methods, search the archives.  I don't feel like regurgitating it all
(along with answers to inevitable objections) right now.

Alex