[EM] bicameral design poll

Jeffrey O'Neill jeff_c_o at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 5 08:04:17 PST 2004

Hi Alex,

Interesting question.  I agree with your answer except for the size of the
districts.  According to Duverger, a district size of 10 supports 11 parties.
If each party runs a full slate, then there would be 110 candidates.  I would
prefer a district size of 4-5 to reduce the number of candidates.

In MA, the smaller house is 40 and the larger house is 160.  I think it would
be desirable to create districts solely for the smaller house and then use the
same districts as 4-member districts for the larger house.  This would create
an interesting geographical linkage between the two houses.

Jeff