[EM] Testing 1 2 3

Bart Ingles bartman at netgate.net
Fri Jan 2 12:31:01 PST 2004

There is no way to accurately determine approval voting results using
this input format.  About the best you can do is to assume that for the
A>B voters, half approve both A and B, and the other half approve only
A.  This would make approval voting equivalent to Borda, at least where
fully ranked ballots are concerned.

Also, I notice that you allow equal last-choice preferences (e.g.
A>B=C), but not equal first preferences (A=B>C).  Doing one but not the
other would bias the results.  But then the only reasonable way to
handle (A=B>C) for IRV or Plurality would be to assume that half vote
one way, and half the other.

Since precisely equal preferences are theoretically rare, it might be
better just to assume fully ranked preference lists for all voters.

Bart