[centroids] [EM] Condorcet for public proposals - Tounament

Chris Hahn cphahn at go.com
Fri Jan 30 20:49:26 PST 2004

My suggestion about a better name: Ranked Voting or Ranked Voting Method, etc.

I am not too excited about tournament or instant matchup.

Tournament sounds like a game rather than something more serious.  Instant Matchup is a technically better name than Ranked Voting, but it requires the public to think too deeply to the next level. They have to think about how the winner is actually selected rather than what they have to do when they go to the polls.  When they go to the polls they rank the candidates.  They can understand that easily, therefore Ranked Voting or Vote Ranking is an understandable name.

Those who care to understand how and why the results are matched will really "get it" and be the biggest advocates.  The general populace will be happy with the knowledge that by using a Ranked Voting system they are being better represented.  The superficial understanding will be all they need or want.

That is my 2 cents worth for now.

Chris