[EM] Doesn't everybody see that IRV=BORDA?

Paul Kislanko kislanko at airmail.net
Sat Jan 24 12:45:02 PST 2004

Not that that's a bad thing, necessarily, but it is true in the sense that any IRV winner would've won by Borda (and with less effort, I might add).

IRV adjusts ballots that include the eliminated alternatives to transfer rankings upward when the eliminated alternatives are not last on specific ballots, and the iteration is continued until one alternative records a majority of #1 votes. The IRV process preserves the relative rankings of alternatives that are not eliminated in an iteration.

It is easy to see that the IRV winner will be the alternative with the highest Borda Count in the first round of ballot-counting.

So, if Borda is "bad", why is IRV "good" - they are the same thing when it comes to picking winners.

It is fairly easy to prove that IRV always selects the Borda winner. Personally, I have no objection to that, but it surprises me that IRV advocates dislike Borda.

J Paul Kislanko