[EM] Paul Kislanko reply

MIKE OSSIPOFF nkklrp at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 23 23:37:01 PST 2004

Paul Kislanko said:

For every example that meets such-and-such criterion

I reply:

Actually, for determining criterion compliance or noncompliance, what we
want is _failure_ examples, not success examples. As already explained to
Chris, an example in which a method doesn't fail a criterion proves nothing
about whether or not that method meets the criterion.

Paul continued:

there is a fairly easy
way to come up with a counterexample that shows a failure to meet a
different criterion

I reply:

I believe that it's already common knowledge here that no method meets every
criterion.

Paul continued:

, and what most people on this list do is switch criteria
from a post to a reply to an objection to their post.

I reply:

The meaning of that sentence isn't quite clear. But it suggests that people
switch criteria. I don't know about that. People seem quite consistent about
what criteria they prefer. Some like LNH, and they seem to not switch to
saying they like something else better. I've consistenly expressed
preference for methods that meet the defensive strategy criteria, FBC, SFC,
GSFC, WDSC, & SDSC.

Mike Ossipoff