[EM] non-deterministic methods

Dave Ketchum davek at clarityconnect.com
Tue Dec 28 00:08:20 PST 2004

On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 22:04:13 -0800 Bart Ingles wrote:

> Forest Simmons wrote:
>
>> What if we tossed two coins, and gave the win to B if they both came
>> up heads, to C if they both came up tails, and to A otherwise.

Looks like time for those too out of it to understand simple odds to go
back in their corners until they can wake up.

Perhaps the above will catch your eye if the SAME thing is restated:
      If coins are alike (50%) split between B and C (each 25%).
      If coins are unlike (50%) A wins.
      So we fight over who gets A treatment.

More basic question:
      Where is there need, in a public election, to design in a big enough
window of opportunity for strategists to make trouble?
      Assuming windows achievable in some private elections, might it be
practical and simpler to forbid such strategy?

> Wouldn't a random cycle-breaker provide strong incentive for a sure
> loser in a cycle-free election to try to create a cycle?
>
> Bart

                  If you want peace, work for justice.