[EM] Re: Range Voting and Cardinal Ratings Runoff

Kevin Venzke stepjak at yahoo.fr
Sat Dec 18 12:36:54 PST 2004

Forest,

 --- Forest Simmons <simmonfo at up.edu> a écrit :
> > I think I'd better note that I didn't come up with "Runoff Without
> > Elimination" as a name or idea... I recall old archive messages
> > where "RWE" was discussed by Mike Ossipoff and Donald Davison.
>
> But you did invent "Gradual Approval."  Right?

Yes. I called it "Gradual Info Approval," though.

> Brian replied ...
>
> > I don't think this can happen with IRNR.

Interestingly, I tried the scenario which needs no introduction:

49 A
24 B
27 C>B

in IRNR, and it seemed to me that in order to get A elected, either
the second faction needs to be unusually small, or the third faction's
score for B needs to be unusually low. Both would help.

I also had difficulty creating a scenario where the A voters use
offensive strategy by propping up C. If C isn't *expected* to do as
well as B, then the A voters will have to sacrifice a *lot* of points
to get B to be eliminated first. That's obviously risky.

Hopefully someone else can find an egregious IRNR failure.

Kevin Venzke