[EM] Multi-seat Condorcet method

James Green-Armytage jarmyta at antioch-college.edu
Mon Dec 6 13:44:17 PST 2004

Hi Daniel,
	I don't think that your proposal for multi-seat Condorcet will
effectively provide proportional representation. I think that similar
proposals have been made on the list and rejected, that is, proposals with
the idea of electing the Condorcet winner, absorbing his or her votes
somehow, and repeating the process until all seats are filled. Your
proposal may not be identical to any that have been made, but I think that
it is similar enough to have the same problems, i.e. a centripetal bias,
and who knows what strategic incentives.
	For an effective union of the Condorcet and STV principles for the
purpose of proportional representation, I recommend Nicolaus Tideman's
CPO-STV (comparison of pairs of outcomes by single transferable vote)
method.

Tideman, T.N. (1995). The single transferable vote. Journal of economic
perspectives 9(1): 27-38.
Tideman, T.N. and Richardson, D. (2000). Better voting methods through
technology: The refinement-manageability trade-off in the single
transferable vote. Public Choice 103: 13-34.
http://www.econ.vt.edu/tideman/rmt.pdf
http://fc.antioch.edu/~james_green-armytage/voting_methods/survey.htm#cpostv

my best,
James