[EM] Range Voting (CR), one of the best methods

MIKE OSSIPOFF nkklrp at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 30 22:26:53 PST 2004

Ralph Suter wrote:

Will someone on the list who has studied range voting and compared it to
Condorcet, approval, and other methods please comment on Doug Greene's
paper? He
appears to be saying that range voting is superior to all other single
winner
methods. Are there good arguments against this conclusion? Does range voting
have serious flaws? If so, could someone briefly summarize them?

Thanks,
Ralph Suter

It has no serious flaws.

Range Voting is also called Cardinal Ratings (CR). It's strategically
equivalent to Approval, and that makes CR one of the best methods.

Personally I prefer Condorcet to Approval and CR, but, among practical
proposals, Approval & CR are a close 2nd. I prefer Condorcet because I like
the luxury of sincerely voting as many pairwise preferences as I want to, as
many preference levels as I want to.

Approval & CR will quickly home in on the voter median, and then stay there.
Maybe Approval or CR will arrive there after one or two elections. Condorcet
will go there immediately.

Let me say what I mean by CR. It's probably the same thing that Range Voting
means:

Cardinal Ratings (CR):

Each voter may give to any candidate any number of points, within some
pre-specified range. The winner is the candidate who receives the most
points.

[end of CR definition]

Approval, of course is a CR version, the simplest one. The 0,1 CR version.

Other CR versions include 0-10 CR, 0-100, -10 to 10, -100 to 100, and
-1,0,1.

I say that they're all equivalent to Approval because one's best strategy to
maximize expectation is to give maximum points to the candidates for whom
one would vote if it were an Approval election, and give minimum points to
the others.

Approval is my favorite, because of that equivalency, and because of
Approval's elegant simplicity.

But Approval may be the most difficult CR version to propose, because most
people haven't heard of it, and sometimes give a fallacious "1 person 1
vote" objection to Approval. This isn't the place to answer that, so I'll
just say that that objection is easily answered, in a number of ways. But it
would be better to avoid the objection.

One way to avoid it would be to, from the start, offer Approval as a point
system, one in which we can give to any candidate 0 points or 1 point. The
simplest point system. Then people wouldn't misperceive Approval as illegal
Plurality voting.

Another way to avoid that objecion, and Approval's unfamiliarity would be to
propose one of the other CR versions. They're much more familiar. Everyone's
been asked to rate things from 1 to 10, and so 0-10 isn't unfamiliar, for
instance.

And the CR versions allowing negative ratings, though they're essentially
the same as the other versions, have the great advantage that many people
would very much like to give negative points.

For that reason, the negative points CR versions may be the most winnable of
all. Of those, -1,0,1 is the simplest and most easily implemented. Because
of initiatives that let us vote yes or no on a list of initiatives, we can
implement -1,0,1 easily with existing equipment & software.

Of course the ballot needn't (but still could) offer all 3 point options
(-1, 0 and 1). It could just offer -1 or 1; or Yes or No. Not voting either
would assign 0 points.

CR, then, may be the most winnable of all the good voting systems, due to
its familiarity and simplicilty. And the negative points versions might be
the most winnable of those. And the easily-implemented -1,0,1 is probably my
favorite public proposal among those.

With all the CR versions, as with Approval, no one ever has any incentive to
vote someone over their favorite. That can't strictly be said for any other
method. Of course IRV violates that criterion often. Condorcet much less so.
Condorcete's violations of that criterion (Favorite-Betrayal Criterion, or
FBC)
are rare, contrived, and unimportant.

Approval & the other CR versions meet WDSC:

Weak Defensive Strategy Criterion (WDSC):

If a majority of all the voters prefer X to Y, then they should have a way
of voting that ensures that Y won't win, without any member of that majority
voting a less-liked candidate over a more-liked one.

[end of WDSC definition]

That criterion is also met by the better Condorcet versions, the
"winning-votes" Condorcet versions. They meet other, stronger, similar
criteria too.
Those critreria can be found at:

http://www.electionmethods.org   at the technical evaluation page, and at:

http://www.barnsdle.demon.co.uk/vote/sing.html