[EM] re: diagrams

Dan Keshet dkesh at channel1.com
Thu Dec 23 18:38:26 PST 2004

For what it's worth, I drew up a pretty simplistic diagram to make
demonstrations of how a cycle can happen in election results:

http://www.channel1.com/users/dkesh/green/voting/condorcetparadox.png
(available in SVG format as well)

It's a simple triangle with a bunch of dots around it.  A majority of the dots
are closer to B than A, C than B, and A than C.

I have also used even simpler diagrams (not online) with dots bunched around
three points on a line, heavier on the edges than in the middle, to
demonstrate a situation where IRV fails.

I find that for some visual thinkers the diagrams really help their
understanding.

--Dan Keshet