[EM] Range Voting and Cardinal Ratings Runoff

Forest Simmons simmonfo at up.edu
Thu Dec 16 17:33:44 PST 2004

> Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2004 20:30:19 -0800
> From: Brian Olson <bql at bolson.org>
> Subject: Re: [EM] Is range voting the panacea we need?

> Straight rating summation is vulnerable to strategic voting. Perhaps in
> this study people voted honestly because it obviously didn't matter and
> so there was no incentive to vote strategically. In a real election the
> stakes would be higher.
>
> My favorite solution is to run Instant Runoff style disqualification
> cycles over Normalized Ratings (IRNR). I believe this method is
> strategy proof and passes a handful of other desirable election method
> criterion.

In general, methods that proceed by sequential elimination are not
strategy proof:

Suppose that there are only three candidates, and you think that your
compromise C has a significantly better chance than your favorite F of
winning against the candidate D that you dislike the most, and that there
is a good chance that D will be one of the finalists.  Suppose further,
that F and C both have decent chances of getting into the final round.

In this situation, you have an incentive to "bury" your favorite F, i.e.
to try and make F lose in the first round.

This may not be too common, but it is a barrier that every third party has
to surmount if they are to graduate from non-entity to serious contender
status.

Labor may be short compared to nine months of gestation, but birth cannot
happen without it.  A random sample of the nine months might give the
impression that labor is too rare to worry about.

Similarly, before a third party can win an election it has to reach the
stage at which this burying strategy becomes a problem, if the election
method proceeds by sequential elimination.

For this reason Kevin came up with the "Runoff Without Elimination" idea,
culminating in his "Gradual Approval," which I believe to be a superior
use of Cardinal Ratings style ballots.

It doesn't suffer from the burying strategy because all candidates are
still in the race in the last round.

A candidate with lots of success in previous rounds just gets the approval
cutoff moved closer to her as a "reward," so losers of previous rounds
(whether favorite or compromise or both) still have chances in the final
round.

Forest