[EM] Re: Schwartz//SC-WMA

Forest Simmons simmonfo at up.edu
Mon Dec 13 11:52:47 PST 2004

It's interesting to me that before I opened my email today I was already
thinking about proposing Banks//WMA.

Now that Chris has brought up this clone problem, maybe I'll hold off.

Some thoughts on other possible ways of de-cloning WMA.

1. Proceed as in my de-cloning of Copeland.  (Use an "irreducible beat
clone set hierarchy structure" to modify the weights used in WMA.)

2. Does the problem persist in the version of WMA that uses fractional
approval at the level where half of the weight is used up?

3. Break down and use Cardinal Ratings style ballots along with weighted
mean instead of weighted median.

With regard to (1):  A four candidate election always gives rise to what I
recently described under the moniker of "a proper beat clone set."

If the election has a CW then the other three candidates form a proper
beat clone set, because they are all beaten by evey (i.e. the only)
candidate outside the set.

A similar analysis takes care of the case of a Condorcet Loser.

If there is neither a Condorcet Loser nor a CW (and assuming no pairwise
ties) then there will be two candidates C1 and C2 such that both of these
beat a third candidate B, and both are beaten by the other candidate A.
[To see this, try putting arrows on the edges of a tetrahedron in such a
way that no vertex has an in-degree or out-degree of three. All such
arrangements of arrows are isomorphic.]

The set {C1,C2} is a proper beat clone set, and this should be taken into
account when assigning the weights for WMA, or better yet, just eliminate
the member C that is beaten by the other C, i.e. keep the one that is
in the Banks set.

[De-cloned Copeland would give a tie to A, B, and the remaining C.]

To summarize in slightly different terms, we can say that a four candidate
set can never have more than three uncovered candidates.

So "top four" is just as easy to handle as "top three" and might have even
less incentive for "burying" than "top three."  [If I am not mistaken,
the main advantage of "top three" over "top two" is that it has less
incentive for burying.]

I wonder how common it is that a Ranked Pairs winner (for example) will
not be the winner in all of its four candidate supersets.  If this is
extremely uncommon, then giving the win to the candidate that wins in all
of its four candidate supersets (if there is such a candidate), else
random ballot among the Banks set candidates, would be a nice method.

I'm not sure where these ideas will lead; I haven't sorted them all out,
but here's some more related ideas.

The idea of WMA is to automate near optimal approval strategy based on a
set of ordinal ballots in order to compensate for Approval's Achilles'
heel (bad information can lead one to make unfortunate approval cutoffs).

>From what I understand, the only positive probability winners under
perfect information with sophisticated player strategies would be the
members of the Banks set.  So keeping in mind the purpose of WMA, why not
restrict to the Banks set in the first place.

Here's a five candidate example that is pleasant to contemplate:

Start with the transitive closure of A beats B beats C beats D, before
adding in E such that E beats A and C but is beaten by B and D.

There are no proper beat clone sets in this example, so there is a beat
path from every candidate to every other candidate.  But C and D are both
covered by B, so they cannot be sophisticated strategy winners, and hence
should be eliminated.

WMA could then be applied to the cycle A beats B beats C beats A, to give
near optimal approval cutoffs, at least much better than the voters could
determine from typical quality horse race information.

And remember, if the voters have a strong approval or disapproval feeling
that they want to have respected by WMA, they can always use the equal
ranking options at the top and bottom of their ordinal ballots.

[To respect this feature, we modify Chris' rule of completely throwing out
the unworthy candidates; we'll keep them on the ballots that rank them at
the top, by ranking them equal to the top worthy candidate.  Also
symmetric completion might has to be modified to completely respect these
strong preferences; yes, use the weights from the symmetric completion,
but apply those weights in the ballots in their form immediately before
the symmetric completion.]

The other line of thought that brought me to this topic was this:  random
ballot to choose among Banks set members might be a reasonable improvement
on plain old random ballot.  The weights in plain WMA are proportional to
the probabilities of winning under random ballot.  So why not make the
weights proportional to winning under the improved random ballot method,
i.e. under random ballot Banks?

I believe that random ballot Banks is clone free.  If so, it would make
sense for the fractional weight version of Banks//WMA to be clone free as
well.

I hope that these musings stimulate some more thought along the lines that
Chris and Jobst have been advocating.

Forest

Chris Benham wrote ...