[EM] transitional methods: candidate withdrawal IRV?

James Green-Armytage jarmyta at antioch-college.edu
Fri Dec 10 00:50:56 PST 2004

	I've mentioned Condorcet completed by IRV in recent posts as a possible
bridge from IRV to more advanced Condorcet methods such as cardinal
pairwise. I suggested something like the following progression for
single-winner elections

1. plurality/runoffs
2. equal-ranking IRV (fractional)
3. Condorcet completed by IRV
4. cardinal pairwise

	But, perhaps IRV-completed Condorcet is kind of an awkward method...?
	In that vein, I'd like to remind everyone (including myself) of the
possibility of adding a candidate withdrawal option to IRV. (CWO-IRV). The
rule is that, after the election, any candidate has the right to order a
re-tally of the votes in which they are eliminated before the first round
of counting. While this isn't technically Condorcet-efficient, it seems
that if a Condorcet winner exists, there will at least always be the
option of granting the win to that candidate via withdrawals. Thus,
CWO-IRV should greatly reduce the compromising strategy incentive (one of
IRV's main problems). So, how about this...?

1. plurality/runoffs
2. equal-ranking IRV (fractional)
3. CWO-IRV
4. cardinal pairwise

	Again, no hard conclusions, just musing.

my best,
James