[EM] Gibberish, Alphabet Soup, and Acronyms

bql at bolson.org bql at bolson.org
Thu Dec 2 18:55:23 PST 2004

I perceive that there is a convention out in the world, perhaps used in
scholarly writing and probably in other communication, of writing the
expansion of an acronym with its first usage. The most common form goes
something like this:
 	... and then My Cool Acronym (MCA) will save the world by ...
Henceforth, we should reasonably be able to refer to "MCA" without
ambiguity or confusion. I think that this convention is helpful and
generally Right and Good.

OR
AFAICT, there is an accepted convention on acronym usage. IMNSHO it is a
good one. TTYL, YHBT, HAND.

Brian Olson
http://bolson.org/