[EM] Re: river, ROACC / examples with 4 options

Jobst Heitzig heitzig-j at web.de
Sun Aug 29 09:38:14 PDT 2004

Just a small correction:

James Green-Armytage wrote:
> By the way, for anyone who missed it, I'd like to call
> attention to this post by Jobst which seems to catalogue every possible
> kind of four candidate cycle... quite an impressive bit of work,
> meticulously organized
> http://lists.electorama.com/pipermail/election-methods-electorama.com/2004-May/012801.html

More precisely, that's a catalogue of all possible strict orderings the
pairwise defeats between 4 options can show when there is more than one
immune option (immune = each defeat faces a stronger beat-path back). I
catalogued them in order to show the differences between some of my
favourite methods (river, Tideman, beat path) since they only differ
when there's more than one immune option. As mentioned before, these
examples indicate quite clearly that river is a compromise between beat
path and tideman.

A version of those examples with the results of two additional methods
can be found at
http://www.groucho.info:8080/election-methods-wiki/index.php/Defeat_orderings_for_4_options
as part of my unsuccessful attempt to provide a "sandbox" wikipedia
clone for this list (I still don't think that everything should
immediately added to Wikipedia.org when it's still work in progress and
being discussed...).

Jobst