[EM] voting machines

James Green-Armytage jarmyta at antioch-college.edu
Sat Aug 28 18:00:19 PDT 2004

Dave K. brought up voting machines...

I think that if we are using computerized voting, then the source code
should be transparent, i.e. verifiable public knowledge. Can we all agree
on this?

If the source code is public knowledge, and it can be verified that the
individual machines are operating on the basis of the source code, then
perhaps a lack of paper records wouldn't be such a big deal.

On the other hand, I see no reason why to not have paper records. I'm sure
that you could print the info from each vote in a very small, tidy code,
so that you could fit hundreds of votes on a standard 8x11 page... hence
paper waste or ink waste wouldn't be too significant.

Are the source codes for all of our voting machines this November public
knowledge? If not, I think this is more serious than the paper issue. If
they want to maintain a copyright on it, that's fine, but you can still do
that while letting the public know what it is. Books, for example, contain
copyrighted material, but nevertheless that material is obviously
available to anyone who purchases the book. Likewise, the voting machine
code should be available to all voters.

Sincerely,
James