[EM] river, ROACC (terminolgy, again)

Paul Kislanko kislanko at airmail.net
Sat Aug 28 13:49:46 PDT 2004

My characterization of NP is exactly the same as what is claimed in the
article.

In any case, my objection was to the use of "non-deterministic" on this list
as equivalent to "having a random component."

Many systems are "non-deterministic" by the definition given in Wikipedia,
but they do not have a "random" component (especially in the case of the
idealized Turing Machine, which isn't subject to gamma rays switching it's
bits from one state to another).

But a system that involves introducing a random input at any stage cannot be
processed by a Turing Machine, so it is, as I said "Oracular" (and you are
allowed anything for your "Oracle", including picking ballots out of a hat
or consulting a Ouija board, or cutting a deck of cards, or... well, you see
what I mean.)

I was objecting to the term "non-deterministic" being used to apply to an
algorithm that can't be processed by a Turing Machine, which as has been
pointed out is a pre-requisite for the use of the term, which is what is
what I was trying to say in the first place.

I repeat, an EM that has a "randomly select" in its definition is not
"non-deterministic". It is Oracular.