[EM] Re: preferential voting - rank-order voting?

Dr. Ernie Prabhakar drernie at radicalcentrism.org
Mon Aug 23 12:14:15 PDT 2004

Hi all,

proportional-representation
<http://www.sacbee.com/content/politics/columns/walters/story/
10386675p-11306421c.html>, I wanted to suggest an overhaul of electoral
policies based on Condorcet-style voting.  However, this discussion
seems to indicate that the term 'preferential voting' has way too many
connotations, especially around IRV.

 From a users perspective, I think the most salient feature of these
systems is that voters (on the front-end) can list multiple options in
order of preference.  How those votes are counted is really a secondary
(back-end) consideration -- what I'd consider an implementation detail,
albeit a crucial one.

Therefore, for purposes of a high-level letter to a newspaper, I'd like
to use the term "rank-order voting."  That's more of a front-end view
than the terms 'ranked ballots', which is how the counting system views
them.  I would probably still refer to Robert's Rules indirectly, as
in:

One way to improve participation in California's electoral process is
the use of rank-order voting, also called "preferential voting" in
Robert's Rules of Order. This allows voters to rank options in order of
preference, rather than merely picking a single favorite; done
properly, it makes it easier to vote sincerely rather than having to
worry about strategic considerations such as vote-splitting.

That is, I want to present the concept in a way that avoids the IRV vs.
Condorcet discussion for now, but highlights the overall benefits.  As
such, is that a reasonably accurate (if incomplete) statement?   Any
suggestions on better phrasing?

Thanks,
- Ernie P.

NORMAAL - the Network of Radical Middle Activists and Learners
http://RadicalCentrism.org/normaal