[EM] Definition of preferential voting

Dave Ketchum davek at clarityconnect.com
Sun Aug 22 13:42:54 PDT 2004

On Sun, 22 Aug 2004 07:08:06 -0700 Steve Eppley wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Check out the definition of "preferential voting" in
> the Scott, Foresman book on Robert's Rules of Order.
> I don't have a copy but my recollection is that it
> defines preferential voting as any voting method in
> which the voters express their orders of preference--
> my words, not theirs--and it offers IRV as one example.
> Their use of IRV as an example could explain why some
> people now believe the term is a synonym for IRV.

Robert's likes repeated balloting much better, but concedes that is not
always practical.

They offer IRV (by description, not by name) as an example, and say
nothing against other preferential methods such as Condorcet.

Trivia:
      1990 edition was Scott, Foresman.
      2000 edition is Perseus Publishing and is current - words on
Preferential look identical to me.
      www.robertsrules.com says there is now a CD-ROM with the rules.