[EM] Re: direct democracy / proxy system proposal

Bryan Ford baford at mit.edu
Fri Aug 13 11:06:58 PDT 2004

Hi James (and others interested),

As a follow-up to my last message, regarding how to go about prototyping a
system for proxy direct democracy and getting people to try it out...

I've been continuing to think along the lines I mentioned earlier, of finding
a way to integrate our ideas into an existing, successful collaboration
system such as WikiMedia in the least intrusive way possible, while still
ensuring in some way that the security requirements can be met.  I've put an
(incomplete, draft, but hopefully useful) write-up of some of my ideas on a
(publicly writable) Wiki page here:

	http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Brynosaurus

So far what I've written about just focuses on how to incorporate divergent
branches and voting into such a system in the easiest and least intrusive
manner I can think of.  (i.e., mostly user interface issues.)  I haven't yet
written the section on proxy voting, but for that I'm mostly thinking exactly
along the lines you suggested - users go to a special page to set up their
proxy lists, and then everything pretty much happens automagically from there
in the obvious way.  Feel free to add to the page if you feel so inclined. :)

Cheers,
Bryan