[EM] recommendations

larrythecucumber at adelphia.net larrythecucumber at adelphia.net
Wed Aug 11 05:46:25 PDT 2004

This is the same post I posted last night, except that I have amended it to make it less wide.

This is my first e-mail to this listserv, although I have
been checking the monthly pages for interesting entries
for over a year and a half.  I can’t believe I waited so
long to join in.  For some reason I’m more nervous about
joining listservs seems than joining web discussion
forums.  Maybe it’s because the last time I joined a
listserv I was chased off by another member because I
wasn’t a member of the political party which operated the
listserv.  Well, on to the topic.

As for which single-winner method is best (at least in
elections with large electorates and possibly all
elections where there is the possibility of more than two
options), I currently support a Condorcet method I like to
call Locked Preferences.  It is very similar Maximize
Affirmed Majorities, but the number of votes against a
defeat is not used as a tie-breaker when two defeats are
supported by an equal number of votes and pairwise ties
which need to be resolved are treated essentially the same
as defeats of equal strength that cannot both be affirmed,
if they are not already treated the same in MAM (this
could make a difference if two opposite preferences and a
third preference that would contradict one of them and an
already affirmed majority are expressed by an equal number
of voters; I say “essentially the same” since a lot
tiebreaker with each of the two candidates having an equal
chance of winning would produce no different results from
Steve Eppley’s tiebreaker if one pairwise tie was the only
tie that needed to be broken).

These are the only real differences between Locked
Preferences and MAM, but they are made more natural by the
following difference in heuristic: instead of determining
the winner of each pair and sorting each pair by the
method described above, you sort the preferences
themselves, all of them (“defeats”, minority preferences,
and preferences that are part of a pairwise tie), by the
method described above.  Using this heuristic could
perhaps win over some supporters of margins being used to
sort defeats rather than winning votes, since it would
show that votes for a majority preference overriding those
for the opposite preference is no different than votes for
two defeats overriding those for a smaller defeat which
contradicts those defeats.  It also just seems more
natural to me.  My reason for not using the number of
votes against a preference as a tiebreaker is that non-
random secondary sort factors like that don’t seem natural
to me.  If margins aren’t used in sorting defeats in
general, they shouldn’t be used as a tiebreaker either
(and the preference opposed by the least votes among
preferences expressed by an equal number of voters is the
same as the preference with the greatest margin).  That
same sense of what’s natural, plus the concept of
comparing preferences rather than comparing pairs of
preferences, is why I favor treating all cases where
preferences expressed by an equal number of voters the
same way as long as the outcome hinges upon the resolution
of those ties.

Moving on to multiple-winner elections, ideally I would
support CPO-STV, in pure form except that equal rankings
would be allowed (how that would work is a topic for
another post).  Ideally I would not even support the use
of outcome elimination shortcuts since that would deprive
citizens of a chance to see the full results.  But I have
to be reasonable.  Eliminating outcomes from consideration
that do not include candidates who would meet/surpass the
quota in an STV count without exclusions would save a lot
of time and money in most multiple-winner elections
without compromising the integrity of the method or even
(except rarely) eliminating comparisons of pairs of
outcomes that are worth looking at.  I’m a little less
sure about excluding outcomes from consideration that
include candidates who cannot possibly win given evidence
apparent early on, unless those candidates are write-in
candidates.  I feel that a candidate has a right to see
how close he or she came to being elected, and at times a
polarizing candidate who would be excluded in one of James
Green-Armytage’s shortcuts (
http://lists.electorama.com/pipermail/election-methods-
electorama.com/2003-July/010316.html ) may actually have
come close enough to winning that a recount would not be
unreasonable.  I also don’t like the idea of local CPO-
STV, which is described in the link shown above, although
I can certainly see why it was proposed since it can
greatly reduce the number of comparisons necessary and
will only very rarely yield a different result than pure
CPO-STV.

In some aspects, however, I am willing to support a far
less pure CPO-STV method.  In order to make voters’ number
of options less overwhelming, thus making it easier for
them to make an informed ranking of all the options, I
propose allowing candidates for the same office to run in
slates, including slates established by political parties
by the same methods used to choose nominees today,
preferably in primary elections where eligible candidates
could also run in slates.  A first place vote for a slate
would count as a first place vote for the first candidate
on that slate, a second place vote for the second
candidate on that state, and so on up to the number of
candidates on the slate, which should not be allowed to be
greater than the number of candidates to be elected.  A
second place vote for a candidate or slate would in effect
count as an n+1 place vote for that candidate or the first
candidate on that slate, where n is the number of
candidates on all slates ranked above it, and an n+2 place
vote for the next candidate on that slate, and so on.  One
might be able to use shortcuts in addition to those
proposed by Mr. Green-Armytage without further
compromising the integrity of the method.  That, in
addition to the fact that the number of distinct outcomes
would often be much less than in the same election under
regular CPO-STV, would in most cases greatly reduce the
number of comparisons of pairs of outcomes which are
necessary.  One might think that if candidates are going
to run in slates than the addition of a Condorcet
component is not worth the additional effort on the part
of both the voters and the ballot-counters and the
additional cost that will likely result.  I feel, however,
that the Condorcet component provides some immunity from
complaints that a certain party or slate benefited or was
hurt unfairly by the way votes were divided among other,
more similar slates.

I will conclude my description of my favorite multiple-
winner election method by answering the three questions
which must be asked of any method with both a Condorcet
and an STV component.  Not surprisingly, I support my
favorite single-winner method, Locked Preferences, as the
Condorcet method used to determine a winning outcome was
all the preferences of one outcome over another have been
calculated.  I support the use of the Newland-Britain
quota, especially in “party-list CPO-STV” where the Hare
quota could potentially penalize a group of candidates for
running in one slate, but in regular CPO-STV as well.  I
agree that using the Hare quota would lead to more
proportional results.  However, I feel, for example, that
if there are only two groups, each with 100% common voter
support, and one group receives more than twice as many
votes as the other, then the first group should be awarded
a second seat before the second group is awarded the first
seat since each of two candidate’s equal shares of the
first group’s votes is greater than one candidate’s whole
share of the second group’s votes.  Using the Newland
Britain quota assures that this will happen.  The way CPO-
STV works, you won’t even need to have the caveat about a
candidate’s votes having to exceed the quota for that
candidate to be elected, except in the preliminary STV
count to determine which outcomes can be excluded from
consideration.  As for what surplus rule to use when there
are multiple surpluses, I haven’t thought about it or
researched it enough to make an informed decision.

I haven’t thought much about voting in smaller groups and
about direct democracy beyond where there are more than
two options on referendum questions.  (Maine, where I
live, has had a couple of notorious three-way referendum
elections in the past decade.  One was on restrictions on
forestry practices including clearcutting and the other
was on a shift of some of the funding for education from a
primarily property tax source, the municipalities, to a
largely income and sales tax source, the state – pretty
divisive issues in Maine.)  This isn’t much different from
choosing a favorite single winner election method,
although I’m not sure I’d choose the same one.  I lack the
energy to delve into the new realms of smaller group
voting and proxy voting.  Thank you though, James, for
starting this topic which finally got me to join this
listserv.

Sincerely,

Kevin Lamoreau