[EM] Re: Election-methods Digest, Vol 2, Issue 44

Alex Small alex_small2002 at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 29 13:34:06 PDT 2004

>Message: 1
>Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2004 19:03:58 +0100
>From: "James Gilmour"
>Subject: RE: [EM] recommendations

>The facility for party voting in the Australian Federal Senate STV-PR elections is a
>gross perversion of STV. It has reduced STV to just another party list PR system.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is that people have the option of voting either their own preference order, or else a preference order that a party decided upon in advance.  I was under the impression that it was a response to the complexity of the system.

I understand all of the principled objections to party list systems, but in practice I think that the open list methods (especially the Swiss version) are good enough.  Or, put another way, I'd regard an open list system as a huge improvement over what we currently have in the US.  Progress is about improvement, not perfection.

As to Steve Eppley's comments on resolvability:

I like the definition from the social choice literature, but sometimes I prefer to work with continuous models rather than discrete models.  The definition that you posted really only works for discrete models.  Here's what I mean by a continuous model:

For N candidates I will consider an N!-dimensional space where each coordinate corresponds to the fraction of the electorate voting with a given preference order, and I'll restrict my analysis to an affine N!-1 dimensional manifold in that space where all of the coordinates are non-negative and sum up to 1.  I find that it makes a geometrical approach easier.

To ensure resolvability, I stipulate that the method must yield a definite result for every point on that manifold except a sub-manifold of N!-2 dimensions or lower.  Or, I'll use a short-hand that the method must give a definite result except "on a set of measure zero", with all necessary caveats and definitions implicit in that short-hand.