[EM] "Proxy ranking" versus "proxy approval"?

Bryan Ford baford at mit.edu
Sat Aug 14 00:16:19 PDT 2004

In a proxy direct democracy, when a participant sets up their "standing" proxy
lists to indicate who gets to vote on their behalf (either in general or on a
specific topic) when the participant does not vote directly, it seems clear
that the participant should be able to register multiple alternative proxies
so that they can prevent their vote being wasted if their "first-choice"
proxy does not vote on a particular issue.  (How this feature is used is a
matter of personal choice, of course: a participant is always free to list
only one proxy, or none.)

But if _more than one_ of the proxies on my list actually do vote, how is my
vote applied?  In James's proposal the idea is that proxy lists are ranked,
so my vote goes to my first-choice proxy if he votes (or further delegates to
some other proxy who actually votes); otherwise the vote "bounces back" and
goes to my second-choice proxy instead, and so on.  This is obviously takes
sort of a "proxy IRV/STV" approach.

An alternative would be to take more of a "proxy approval vote" approach: if
more than one of the proxies on my list actually do vote (or further delegate
my vote to someone who does), then my vote is split evenly between all of
them.  Thus in the (hopefully not too common) situation that two of my
proxies vote against each other on some issue, my vote would be split between
them and actually "cancel itself out", instead of favoring one proxy over the
other.

(Note that the issue of "proxy ranking" versus "proxy approval" I'm talking
about here is completely separate from and orthogonal to the basic kind of
election system being used for a particular vote: for example, the "proxy
approval" approach could be used to distribute proxy votes in an IRV, STV, or
even simple majority/plurality election, while the "proxy ranking" approach
could just as easily be used to distribute proxy votes in an election by
approval voting.)

Here are the immediate implications I can think of:

* "Proxy approval" is probably somewhat more technically challenging to
implement, since it requires splitting users' votes into fractions, which are
likely to get smaller and smaller and get spread across more and more proxies
as the proxy chains get longer.  Thus, there is a potential issue of
implementation efficiency and scalability - but at the moment it doesn't seem
to be necessarily an insurmountable problem.

* On the other hand, on the assumption that anyone serving as a proxy and
voting on others' behalf _must_ make their votes and their own proxy lists
public for reasons of transparency, it seems that proxies will be much more
willing to register and use proxy lists of their own if they can do so
without being forced to (publicly) place their political allies in a "pecking
order" on their proxy lists, and thus perhaps show a kind of favoritism that
they do not intend.  If instead of using a ranked list, a proxy can merely
use an "approval list" that indicates all the other proxies they "approve of"
to vote on their behalf without showing favoritism between them, the informal
political barriers against proxies themselves using proxy lists may be much
lower.

* It seems that the voting power of a particular proxy is likely to be much
less volatile over time and across different votes in the "proxy approval"
scheme than in the "proxy ranking" scheme, because a given proxy's "voting
base" will consist of fractions of the votes of a larger number of users,
rather than a smaller number of whole votes.  This difference will be
particularly pronounced when proxies use their own proxy lists: in the
"ranked proxy" scheme, a proxy who doesn't vote on a given issue will
effectively transfer his whole accumulated voting weight as a unit (which
might consist of the votes of many participants) to his first-choice proxy,
whereas in the "proxy approval" scheme such an accumulation will tend to be
split further.  In the "proxy ranking" scheme, I suspect that small changes
in a popular proxy's proxy list could create large and perhaps quite
unpredictable swings in election outcomes, whereas with "proxy approval" the
changes in outcomes caused by minor proxy list changes are likely to be more
attenuated.

Comments?  Other implications I haven't thought of?

Thanks,
Bryan