[EM] How to vote cards for Approval?

Dave Ketchum davek at clarityconnect.com
Fri Oct 31 12:54:08 PST 2003

On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 00:23:08 +0000 Gervase Lam wrote:

>>Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2003 13:55:07 -0500
>>From: Dave Ketchum <davek at clarityconnect.com>
>>Subject: Re: [EM] Displaying intermediate results in Condorcet-based
>> elections (re: Rob Brown's original question)
>>

>>Someone mentioned Approval - I object for, while the math is easier to
>>implement, the voter must invest almost as much effert as for Condorcet,
>>yet is unable to indicate BEST LIKED.
>>

> Could this effort be reduced by giving out how to vote cards?

For my topic, NO!!!  Apparently I was not understood.  Assume candidates
with about equal popularity:
      A - with WHITE hat, I must do all I can FOR.
      B - with BLACK hat, I must do all I can AGAINST.
      C - with GRAY hat, I must:
           Do what I can to prevent GRAY beating WHITE.
           Do what I can to prevent BLACK beating GRAY.

With Condorcet I simply vote 1 WHITE, 2 GRAY, fulfilling all the above.

With Approval I obviously approve WHITE and do not approve BLACK.  I tear
my hair as to what to do about GRAY - which will I be happier about tomorrow?

As to "how to vote" cards, I assume that thought was:
      How to please whoever wishes I would support their goals (such cards
have always existed, regardless of election method - and thus leave my
effort about equal regardless of method), rather than
      How to do the action of voting once I have figured out my goals -
which should be taught by every means available, though I see no reason
for cards to be useful, assuming that education gets be done by other
available means.

> Thanks,
> Gervase.

                  If you want peace, work for justice.