[EM] Re: Participation Criterion

Joe Weinstein jweins123 at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 28 14:36:02 PST 2003

Re:  Participation Criterion

Forest Simmons suggests (message 12578) that a 1% margin of error “cannot be
improved upon in typical public polls.”  As a practicing statistician, I
agree.  Of course, no one of the specific factors Forest noted - respondents
lying, misunderstanding, or changing their mind - will necessarily operate,
in any given poll or survey, to bias the results.  It might be that in a
given poll all these factors are relatively independent of how the
respondent will finally vote, so fairly much cancel out.  But nonetheless,
any survey runs a danger of biased results, from factors - others, if not
these - which are unforeseen or uncorrectable in advance and maybe not
recognizable even after the fact.   (For instance, even trained interviewers
can eventually get tired and careless, so that their manner of questioning
may elicit biased responses.)

I appreciate both Forest’s endeavor - to try to overcome unfairness to
voters when the election method fails the Participation Criterion - and
Richard’s opinion - that maybe it would be better either to insist on the
Criterion (that’s my bias!) or to decide simply to live with its uncorrected
failures.

Joe Weinstein
Long Beach CA USA