[EM] Participation Criterion

Forest Simmons fsimmons at pcc.edu
Mon Oct 27 18:55:05 PST 2003

Here's the explanation of the choice of n, the number of times to
replicate ballot B in the procedure below for deciding whether or not the
voter who filled out B was "hopelessly optimistic."

If n were sufficiently large, say ten times the number N of voters, then
any reasonable method would give the win to someone with maximal rank or
rating on ballot B.

But we're more interested in what would happen if the voter of ballot B
had as many like minded friends as he could reasonably expect, i.e. the
number who actually voted like he did plus a reasonable margin of error.

The square root of N is on the order of one standard deviation for
estimates of this type, but in human affairs there seems to be an
irreducible one percent uncertainty even when the square root of N is
smaller than one percent of N, as is the case when N is greater than ten
thousand.

If you were to poll one hundred percent of a large human population about
how they would vote, at least one percent would either lie to you on
purpose, misunderstand your question, change their mind, or otherwise mess
up your estimate, so the .01*N margin of error cannot be improved upon in
typical public polls.

If adding this margin n=max(N^.5, .01*N) of identical ballots would yield
a winner C2 as good or better (as judged by ballot B)  than the candidate
C1 who would win without ballot B, then we would not say that (the voter
of) ballot B was "hopelessly optimistic," so the vote should stand.

Otherwise, our natural paternalism begs us to intervene and save the
hopeless optimists from whatever reason they had for casting a ballot that
could not help them (assuming sincerity).

Note that this increases the risk associated with voting insincerely,
since judgment of whether C2 is better than C1 for the voter of ballot B
is based on ballot B itself, which could back fire if this ballot is not
sincere.

Forest