[EM] Web interfaces and Condorcet scores

Adam Tarr atarr at purdue.edu
Mon Oct 27 15:39:36 PST 2003

>So I'm thinking, what I need to concentrate on is finding the "delta
>score" between a candidate and the one above him.  This value should
>always be positive, of course, and should represent the number of votes
>necessary to tie that candidate, but that is *not* necessarily the
>pairwise margin between those two candidates (since as you mention, that
>could be negative, which would confuse people).

I think that, rather than the pairwise margins between one candidate and
the next, the more meaningful number is the number of votes each candidate
received in a pairwise count against the winner.  As always, there's the
issue of circular ties, which is why I proposed using beatpaths in those
situations.

An issue with the approach you propose is that, if there is a circular tie,
the winner's score could exceed the number of votes.

>So now our scoring looks like this:
>
>B: x + 38 + 38 + 56
>D: x + 38 + 38
>A: x + 38
>C: x
>
>We still need to find a reasonable value to give to x, but other than that
>we are done.

I would think a reasonable x value would be x's votes pairwise against A.

-Adam