[EM] Web interfaces and Condorcet scores

Eric Gorr eric at ericgorr.net
Mon Oct 27 12:16:03 PST 2003

At 2:54 PM -0500 10/27/03, Rob Speer wrote:
>One problem I've had in designing the web site from a usability aspect
>is how to let people easily cast preferential votes.

The other thing one has to consider with this issue is dealing with a
large number of alternatives. When working with a small number, and
interface like Rob Brown's works extremely well.

But, consider what happens when the number of alternatives grows to a
large number...basically beyond what can be displayed on the screen
all at once.

The ability to sort the potential selections becomes important and it
may be useful for the initial list of alternatives that each voters
sees to be random.

A user will not want to press the 'move up' button a lot to get it
into the proper location. I would guess that somewhere beyond 10
alternatives is the threshold - someone else mentioned drag-and-drop
to help with this.

I'm sure there are other issues that could be listed here that I have
not yet considered.