[EM] Intro to list (etc)

Adam Tarr atarr at purdue.edu
Mon Oct 27 08:14:24 PST 2003

Rob Lanphier wrote:

>1. New Hampshire defeated all states and Wyoming 1279-­1041
>2 through 4. (three way tie) The following defeated all states except New
>Hampshire
>  2. Wyoming - defeated Montana 1196-­954, but lost to Idaho
>  3. Montana - defeated Idaho 1152-979, but lost to Wyoming
>  4. Idaho - defeated Wyoming 1020-989, but lost to Montana
>5. Alaska lost to the above and defeated Maine 1127-1097
>6. Maine lost to the above and defeated Vermont 1108-996
>7. Vermont lost to the above and defeated Delaware 1087-­1015
>8. Delaware lost to the above and defeated South Dakota 1245-­938
>9. South Dakota lost to the above and defeated North Dakota 1101-­823
>10. North Dakota lost to all states

I think something like the above would be a great thing to have under a
link that said, "more verbose results".  There could also be an actual
pairwise matrix at the bottom of the "verbose results" page.

But I agree with Rob B that the average ESPN.com/Slashdot/CNN.com user will
not want the poll unless it can display results in an extremely simple,
bar-graph type fashion.  The (admittedly strange) approach I proposed would
manage that.

-Adam