[EM] Intro to list (etc)

Adam Haas Tarr atarr at ecn.purdue.edu
Sun Oct 26 15:25:01 PST 2003

>Here is what I would use.  Compute the results using beatpath, aka Schulze, as
>oppose to Ranked Pairs (aka Tideman).  Then display the winning candidate, along
>with the number of votes on his weakest beatpath.  Then display the remaining
>candidates in order of strongest beatpath against the winner.

Gr... that's not quite right.  Here's what I mean.

1)  Determine the winner.
2)  Order the losing candidates from the one with the strongest beatpath against
the winner, to the one with the weakest.
3)  Assign the winning candidate a score equal to its beatpath against the
strongest losing candidate.

So, in the Schulze example on Rob's web site, the rankings would end up as:

1) Abby 511
2) Brad 463
2) Dave 463
2) Evan 463
5) Cora 460

This reveals one of the quirks of ranking things this way, which is that cyclic
ties will cause some ties in the lower ranks.  This looks a little weird, but it's
really the worst thing I can say about ranking things this way.

Here's a more typical example:

49% Bush
12% Gore>Bush>Nader
12% Gore>Nader>Bush
27% Nader>Gore>Bush

The results by my proposal would be displayed:

1) Gore 51%
2) Bush 49%
3) Nader 27%

(assuming, of course, that you count winning votes not margins... otherwise Bush
wins.)

-Adam