[EM] Using Borda to Set an Agenda

Bart Ingles bartman at netgate.net
Sat Oct 25 22:18:02 PDT 2003

If the goal is nominal proportionality, then cumulative voting or even
simple plurality voting (aka SNTV) might be simpler to use than Borda.
SNTV is actually a restricted form of cumulative voting, and does tend
to produce proportional results in multi-winner elections.

When used in meetings (usually to elect govering boards, etc.)
cumulative voting is often implemented with tokens.  Each member might
be given a fixed-size stack of chips which that member can allocate
among the various choices has he or she sees fit.  The League of Women
voters sometimes uses "dot voting", where each member is given a strip
of colored adhesive dots which can be affixed next one or more names on
a board containing the list of candidates.

SNTV is logically equivalent to cumulative voting, but requires the
voter to "spread" his single vote out using either random or cooperative
methods.  For example, if you want to vote for two candidates equally
using SNTV, you can pool your vote with another like-minded voter and
give one vote to each of the two candidates, or you can use a coin toss
to determine which of the two candidates to vote for.

Both cumulative voting and SNTV should give results which are more
proportional than Borda, although SNTV could actually go beyond
proportionality if the larger-faction voters cast their single vote
sincerely.  The tendency in this case would be for all factions to get
nearly the same representation, regardless of size.  I can imagine this
this might actually be desirable in some situations, but probably not in
public elections.

Bart