[EM] three-slot methods

Forest Simmons fsimmons at pcc.edu
Thu Oct 9 15:08:48 PDT 2003

Let's try your MAR method on the "unreliable poll" example that I consider
to be Approval's achilles heel:

First Table:

60 A>B>C
25 C>B>A
15 B>C>A

Second Table:

40 A>B>C
35 C>B>A
25 B>C>A

Let's suppose that the first table gives true preferences, and that the
second table gives the results of an unreliable poll.

It seems to me that on the basis of this poll the ABC voters would vote
sincerely, not having much hope for A, therefore wanting B to be approved
over C in the likely even that A wasn't around for the second round.

No matter what the other voters did, A would survive to the second round
and C would be eliminated.

So in the second round the 60 AB ballots would approve only A, giving the
win to A, according to MAR (Majority Approval Runoff).

As I remember, it was likely that MCA would also give the win to A, but
not so clear cut.

Now let's change the tables by letting the first set of preferences be the
fake poll results and the second set the true preferences.

The ABC voters would see nothing to lose in voting A>B>C, since according
to the polls B, the only other candidate with a chance of surviving the
first round, would be easily eliminated in the second round.

The CBA voters would not bury B, since according to the polls B is
their only hope of surviving the first round.

So all three factions would see nothing to lose in voting sincerely.

Sincere votes would result in B and C surviving to the second round, with
B, the sincere CW, winning.

This does seem to be better than MCA.

Concerning unreliable polls, there is a good article on this in the
October issue of Z Magazine.

Forest