[EM] re: CR/Approval and cutoffs

Kevin Venzke stepjak at yahoo.fr
Wed Oct 1 21:04:03 PDT 2003

Forest,

I'm afraid I'm still not sure.  There has to be some utility boundary, where on
one side the candidate should be approved, and on the other side, disapproved.
Surely a candidate can sit right on this boundary.  Where else might this boundary
be, besides the expected utility?

Another thought: Suppose there is an Approval election with three candidates,
ABC, each with equal perceived odds of winning, with respective utilities (for
you) of 100%, 50%, and 0%.  Your expectation is thus 50%, exactly B's utility.

If you approve A only, you can break a tie between AB or AC.
If you approve A and B, you can break a tie between BC or AC.

AB and BC are equally likely to occur, and the utility gain from breaking either
tie is the same.  So I think there is no good argument for or against approving B.

I can see only approving A if you were actually guaranteed 50% from the election.
But for that to be true, B's odds would have to be 100%.  In that case, either
a) your "A" vote gives A some chance of winning, or b) your vote is just expressive,
because there is (or is thought to be) no potential gain from any way of voting.

> > The bottom line, for me, is that it would not be good to have every voter
> > disapprove the candidates at their expectation level.
>
> Evidently you are not including the case of zero expectation.

Right.  What I meant was: It would not be best if the rule always followed,
was that expectation-level candidates are never approved.  If that were the
rule, however, I don't think it would really be a disaster unless the number
of slots and candidates were so few that it actually made a difference on a
lot of voters' ballots.

Kevin Venzke
stepjak at yahoo.fr