[EM] Cycles and Stubborn (but rational) Voters

Kevin Venzke stepjak at yahoo.fr
Sun Oct 12 17:19:02 PDT 2003

 --- Dave Ketchum <davek at clarityconnect.com> a écrit :
> Thus, when you finally get to the true election a cycle or other form of tie or
> near tie has to be possible and the response has to be based on that result,
> rather than pretending you can start over.

I was not talking about a specific single election.  I was talking about a
situation where the voters always have cyclic preferences, and what a potential
candidate could or could not do to try to be the CW.

Alex may have to clarify what exactly he was envisioning.

> > My other thought is to use Approval: Make every voter decide, secretly, with
> > the results revealed simultaneously, whether they insist on their favorite, or
> > insist against their least favorite.
>
> On a day when Condorcet managed a cycle, Approval might not, increasing the wish for
> Approval.  BUT, make Approval the standard and Condorcet could start looking better.

The context was that there is a cycle.  As I understood it, the context was that there
is *always* a cycle with these voters.

Kevin Venzke
stepjak at yahoo.fr