[EM] Electronic Voting Bill of Rights?

Ken Johnson kjinnovation at earthlink.net
Sun Nov 23 18:21:01 PST 2003

This is a follow-up to EM Vol 1, #355, Message 1, Re: touch screen
voting machines

Dave Ketchum wrote:

> I think of a voting machine as a unit that supports a single voter at
> a time, doing NO communication outside the room that contains it.
> After polls close and it completes recording the day's activity on its
> CD, it reports totals for publication and for summing for larger
> districts.
> As to voter secrecy, it has been mentioned that there is little when
> there are only a few voters.  In fact it disappears when there is a
> single voter in a count.  We only demand that administration not
> aggravate this problem.

The summing and publication of vote subtotals for specific geographic
regions (e.g. precincts or districts) is, in my view, a violation of
voter secrecy.  For example, someone might say "Oh - you live in that
district that voted 80% Nazi, so you're most probably a Nazi." What's
worse - having someone see my ballot, showing that I voted "Peace and
Freedom", or having someone conclude that I voted Nazi and my not having
any way to prove otherwise? Or maybe an elected governor might think
"that's the district that always votes overwhelmingly against my party,
so I'm not going to fund their much-needed road improvement project -
why bother?" In a sense, reporting district-level election tallies might
be considered a greater violation of privacy than revealing my
individual vote, because no one's going to care much how a particular
individual voted, whereas knowledge of district-level results might
significantly influence governmental decisions. (Granted, such
information can be obtained from independent polls, but polling
information is obtained voluntarily, and there's nothing to prevent me
from lying to pollsters.) Nobody keeps track of my religion, race,
gender, etc. as part of the vote tallying process, and in my view they
shouldn't track my voting locale either.

I would propose the following refinement of the Voter Secrecy provision
of the "Electronic Voting Bill of Rights":

SECRECY:
(1) INDIVIDUAL BALLOTS SHOULD NOT BE TRACEABLE TO SPECIFIC VOTERS.
(2) ELECTION RESULT SUBTOTALS SHOULD NOT BE PUBLISHED OR GENERATED FOR
SPECIFIC KNOWN GROUPS OF VOTERS (SUCH AS GEOGRAPHIC OR SOCIO-ECONOMIC
CLASSES).

To ensure #2 I think it would make sense to send a record of every
ballot (perhaps encrypted) to a central computer, which combines ALL the
ballot records into a SINGLE randomly-indexed database before any vote
tallying is done. If the counting is done manually, or if a manual
recount is required, the process should ensure that the counters do not
know where the votes they are counting come from and that the
intermediate subtotals are not associated with identifiable voter
subgroups. It may be necessary to store original (paper or possibly
CD-recorded) ballots separately for each precinct so that any
discrepancy between the number of voters and the total ballot count can
be traced to the precinct level. However, the original ballots, which
constitute the official, legal record of the vote, could not be viewed
except by appointed election officials or judges under specific
conditions: (1) To corroborate the number of voters to the number of
ballots for a particular precinct, the ballots would be taken out of
storage and counted face down (so that no information about the
precinct's voting preference is viewable). (2) To correlate the official
ballots to the ballot database, or to perform a manual recount, some or
all of the ballots may be viewed by a process in which the people
viewing the ballots do not know where the ballots come from.

In a well-designed process it should rarely, if ever, be necessary to
inspect more than a small statistical sampling of the official ballots
to validate an election result. Regarding Validation, I would also
propose the following Voting Rights provision:

(1) IT SHOULD BE POSSIBLE TO PERFORM A FULL RECOUNT BASED ON THE
OFFICIAL BALLOTS, IF NECESSARY.
(2) IT SHOULD BE POSSIBLE TO ROUTINELY AND INDEPENDENTLY VALIDADATE THE
ELECTION (AT LEAST WITHIN SOME REASONABLE STATISTICAL UNCERTAINTY LEVEL)
WITHOUT DOING A FULL RECOUNT.

The validation process #2 should be simple, transparent, and preferably
not require a great deal of technical expertise (e.g. in computers or
statistics) to understand or implement, and the validation should be
applied  routinely as part of election certification. Furthermore,
ANYONE should have the right to challenge the election and apply the
validation test independently.  As a practical matter, the challenging
party may need to pay a nominal fee to cover inspection-related
expenses, and if multiple validation requests are made then election
officials would have the option of combining them into a single
inspection. Provided that the size of the statistical sampling required
to validate the election is quite small, the validation process would be
fairly simple and inexpensive.

Ken Johnson