[EM] Approval Strategy A- Question for Rob LeGrand

Gervase Lam gervase at group.force9.co.uk
Sat Nov 22 15:51:08 PST 2003

> Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2003 01:21:16 +0100 (CET)
> From: =?iso-8859-1?q?Kevin=20Venzke?= <stepjak at yahoo.fr>
> Subject: Re: [EM] Approval Strategy A- Question for Rob LeGrand

> My thoughts:
> Plurality will be the most proportional because it can occasionally
> elect a fluke candidate to represent weird voters.
> IRV will be next, electing only mainstream flukes (no other flukes).
> Borda will be somewhere around here, although I don't think you'll be
> able to model it accurately.  Specifically, how can you account for the
> incentive for a party to run multiple candidates?
> Approval will be among the least proportional.
> Condorcet methods will be last, picking the centrist whenever the voters
> decide not to truncate him.

Some people argue that (Plurality) PR can cause too much diversity.  This
can be detrimental when the elected chamber try to vote on things.  This
is the reason why Italy went from proportional to a single seats election.

So, there could still be room for Approval and Condorcet.  Nevertheless, I
did (and still do?) agree with you that if you want PR, why not just stick
with Plurality.  Plurality is simple, which is a bonus.

However, can Cardinal Ratings be put above plurality?  To me, it seems the
most proportional of all of the methods around.

Immediately below that would be Borda as it is the "next step" down from
Cardinal Ratings.  Borda would be followed by Approval then Condorcet.

May be the hierarchy should be more like a "Y" shape.  Cardinal Ratings
and IRV would both branch off from Borda.

This makes me wonder about the word "proportional" in a method.  In a
given method, what part of the ballot is proportional?

Take Plurality and Cardinal Ratings.  Cardinal Ratings is proportional for
every candidate on the ballot.  Meanwhile, Plurality is only proportional
with respect to the top most voted candidate.

The closest reasonable method that I can think of that uses Cardinal
Ratings is your Gradual Information Approval method.  Instead of stopping
when there is 1 candidate left, why not stop when there are N candidates
left?

Thanks,
Gervase.