[EM] Re: Hand counting election methods

R.G.'Stumpy' Marsh rmarsh at xtra.co.nz
Wed Nov 19 18:23:03 PST 2003

On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 23:31:51 +0000, you wrote:

>What is happening here is that team A is filling in the row and column for
>candidate A in the pairwise matrix.  Team B is doing likewise for
>candidate B and so on.
>
>As a result, what you would get is a results matrix with each cell/element
>in the matrix getting two counts.  For example, one of the counts would be
>from team A counting the number who ranked A above B.  The other count
>would come from team B, who would be counting the number who ranked B
>below A.
>
>It can therefore be seen that one of the counts is redundant.  That is
>unless you want a second count to check the first count.

This strikes me as a good thing, although perhaps it could be saved
for recounts: Do the "my guy beats..." count for preliminary results,
and then recount using "my guy is beaten by...", for official count.
Any discrepencies would be grounds for a double recount, and a large
discrepency would automatically call for one.

Stumpy.
--
R.G. "Stumpy" Marsh     Timaru, New Zealand
<http://marsh.orcon.net.nz/>