[EM] Electronic Voting Bill of Rights?

David GLAUDE dglaude at gmx.net
Tue Nov 18 00:47:02 PST 2003

Dave Ketchum wrote:
> We are getting in pretty deep here.  I will repeat what I have said a
> few times:
>      Vendor (whoever has this responsibility) writes program (whatever
> is standard and in common for all precincts using this program).

Maybe the whole issue with BlackBox Voting is that we privatize
democracy. We leave it to Vendor to control the process. Democracy is
for sale.

I strongly believe that some things need to be done inhouse by the
administration.

Once you aquire some vendor hardware, you are stuck with them for the
software for a very long time. And if you are unlucky enough to have
choosen Diebold, then you are in trouble now... until another vendor get
strike.

I think the source code should be own by the state (and open source or
free software to garantee transparency). I think the hardware/API
specification should be state writen.

But of course this is only if you want e-voting... wich I don't. ;-)

David GLAUDE