[EM] DRE voting equipment - Linux - Open source

Dave Ketchum davek at clarityconnect.com
Mon Nov 10 12:34:02 PST 2003

Yesterday's copy seems to have got lost.

So I have source for a DRE voting system, on MY disk - as could you, for
it is in Linux and distribution obeys Linux rules.

This system is in use in Canberra (Australian Capital Territory), so it
would be useful for someone from Australia to offer comments:
       URL for Wired article is below.
       From there you can get to considerable Electoral Commission and
vendor documentation.
       Looking at the user guide, seems somewhat limited - doesn't bother
me because, starting with a working system, enhancements are possible.
       BIG DEAL is OPEN SOURCE!!!
       Does not include printed audit trail.  Does not bother me because:
            Open source means deviations from proper coding (accidental or
on purpose) are findable, and vendor DOS NOT WANT to get caught with such.
            Audit trail printing should be addable - ACT looked at price
and decided it was not worth the expense.