[EM] Dimensions, Electoral College

Kevin Venzke stepjak at yahoo.fr
Mon May 26 16:33:01 PDT 2003

 --- josh at narins.net a écrit :
> Condorcet can be represented on a line
> but this matrix vote can not, which is what makes it planar

> although matrix ballots can be tabulated the same as condorcet, the
> ballot itself can be more expressive (take an example of a person who
> chooses Browne and Buchanan over Gore, but doesn't make a distinction
> between Browne or Buchanan.)

That's a funny example.  Browne=Buchanan>Gore.  You want a matrix ballot
just so you can do that?

> > > The Electoral College is _some_ defense, IF the malfeasance is traced
> > > back to the opposition before the day they vote.
> >
> > This made me laugh at you.  "A ballot of infinite pages would be ideal,
> > but in the meantime, we have the Electoral College."
>
> Actually, avoiding this type of problem is part of the stated reason for
> the existence of the Electoral College, avoiding inflamed passions of
> the voters.

You honestly believe the voters will check their own passions if you let
them explain their reasoning on a 3D ballot?

> The situation is more difficult now because 1, the post in question
> might be US President, a very high stakes gig and 2, a fake newspaper
> story before is nothing compared to a worldwide fake internet campaign

"Might" be U.S. President?

The Electoral College is useless for this because its members are
elected to vote for a specific candidate in a single specific election.
If the College was a standing body, or perhaps was elected in "waves"
like the Senate, or had some job other than to elect a President,
it would be more capable of checking the "inflamed passions" of voters.

I never saw the names of the people I was electing to the Electoral
College.  Whoever they were, they had nothing to gain from voting
contrary to the voters' wishes.  I'd be stunned to learn that the
College even has debates.

> Another time I had to pick two people out of 5 for a panel. I wanted the
> panel to be balanced, so I voted "X for sure, Y if X wins, Z if X
> doesn't".  Luckily, the voting population was small enough, and the
> clerk had a good enough sense of humor to allow it.
>
> Certainly it wasn't a question of unclear intent.

Bad clerk.  It's not about your intent being clear, it's about you getting
access to information that other voters didn't.  Imagine if everyone
tried to vote like that.  You wouldn't be able to determine winners
because everyone would be waiting on others' results.

> By the way, as an alternative for a lifetime jail sentence for Bush, a

Ah.  It wasn't clear to me, in your last message, who you intended to have
go to jail.

Kevin Venzke
stepjak at yahoo.fr