[EM] Re: The "Turkey" problem and limited ranks

Kevin Venzke stepjak at yahoo.fr
Wed May 21 11:27:07 PDT 2003

 --- Bart Ingles <bartman at netgate.net> a écrit : >
> Would you say that this type of manipulation is a major problem with the
> plurality system we have now?
>
> Forest Simmons wrote:
> > My main reservation about plain Approval and other low resolution methods
> > is a nagging feeling that methods that give better results in the zero
> > information case than in the perfect information case can be manipulated
> > too much by fake information.
> >
> > Can anybody elucidate this?
> >
> > Forest

Forest, reading again, it seems I didn't address what you were talking about.
I wasn't thinking about "false information" as the means of "manipulation."
Do you really see that as being a problem?  Are you thinking that the media,
for instance, would deceive voters into underestimating certain candidates'
odds of winning?

I suspect there is some problem with this under Plurality, as Bart asked,
in those cases where a third party candidate has a lot of support but loses
the votes of people who don't think he can win.

But it doesn't seem to me that a low-res method would be so badly hurt by
this.  If I'm informed that candidate Z has no chance, I'll place my
divider(s) accordingly (i.e., Z won't get a rank to himself), but at least
he'll be in the right rank (I won't drop him off the ballot completely).
The nice thing about any Condorcet method is that Z can still win, even
if nobody thinks he has a chance.

Kevin Venzke
stepjak at yahoo.fr