[EM] Redistricting

josh at narins.net josh at narins.net
Thu May 8 20:20:09 PDT 2003

> Most interesting is how Rep. Tom DeLay (R-Stalingrad) accidentently made
> the case for proportional representation:  He pointed out that 57% of
> Texans voted for the GOP in last November's House races, but the GOP got
> only 15 out of 32 seats.

As much as all (almost all) statewide offices in Texas are held by
Republicans today, not that long ago (1994) Texas had been 100%
Democrat, well, almost.  It had been a Democrat dominated state for at
least 40 years.

In other words, I'm not surprised they feel like doing it twice.

They say themselves that the only reason they have the plans they do
today is the Lege deadlocked last time.

The Democrats say themselves this hasn't happened, well, for just over
50 years.  Well, who was in charge back then? The Democrats.

Realistically, Delay's comment that 57% of the vote netted them under
50% of the seats speaks to the long Dem control.

I'm not trying to pick on Alex, but Stalingrad is uber-urban.  Delay is
from Sugarland, a rich form of suburbia, home of almost all Enron executives.