[EM] Request comments on MMP?

James Gilmour jgilmour at globalnet.co.uk
Wed Jul 30 11:02:26 PDT 2003

On MMP, Olli wrote:
> I was just trying to understand the Bavarian system.

I have never looked in great detail at the voting systems used in the German Länder, but I
understand there are important differences in the way MMP is implemented.  Several of the various
implementations differ from each other and from the Federal implementation.  For example, in an
article in "Representation" (vol 37, p195) on the Überhangmandate (surplus seats), G K Roberts says
that surplus seats can occur in 13 of the 16 Länder but not in the other three.  The ways such
surpluses are dealt with also differ.

Re distortions in the Scottish implementation of MMP (AMS):
> >  > No doubt they had many compelling arguments for it.
> >
> >Yes - like it will ensure we are the largest party even if the
> >distorted results fail to give us an overall majority.
>
> Ah, but they couldn't use that publicly, could they?

They didn't need to  -  everybody knew it!

James