[EM] Query re. Approval voting, July 25

Forest Simmons fsimmons at pcc.edu
Tue Jul 29 16:01:07 PDT 2003

Approval strategy is pretty easy in the case of zero information, as well
as in the case of reliable polls, but as you note, it can be more
troublesome in the case of unreliable polls.

Still, even in those cases there is no reason to approve the candidate
that you like the least or to disapprove the candidate that you like the
best.  Approval is unique among the more popular methods in this regard.

That suggests some variations on Approval that keep this feature while
overcoming the rest of the "unreliable polls" challenge:

First Variation:  The voters indicate which candidates they definitely
approve (yes), and which they definitely disapprove (no). They also
designate one of the candidates as proxy to cast their remaining yes/no
votes. These proxy votes are cast after all of the definite yes/no results
have been made public, so that they are made by someone whose judgment the
voter trusts who has access to (what is in effect) a highly reliable poll,

Second Variation:  The voters indicate their definite approvals and
disapprovals as in the first variation above.  The ballots are collected
and the candidates given a provisional score which is the difference in
their numbers of yes and no votes.

Then each ballot is completed according to the following rule:

Let X be the highest scoring candidate which has already been marked with
a definite yes or no on the ballot.  Mark all of the undecided candidates
on the ballot with the opposite of X's mark.

In other words, if X is approved, then disapprove all of the previously
undecided candidates, otherwise approve them all.

The method winner is the candidate with the greatest approval based on the
completed ballots.

This method can be generalized inductively to CR ballots of arbitrary
resolution, but I'll save that for another posting.

Forest