[EM] Request comments on MMP?

Olli Salmi olli.salmi at uusikaupunki.fi
Tue Jul 29 00:59:01 PDT 2003

>Olli wrote:
>>  The use the Hagenbach-Bischoff method, which is equivalent to
>>  d'Hondt.
>
>One of my sources said that the Hagenbach-Bischoff QUOTA was the
>same as the Droop QUOTA.
>
>Another said that the Hagenbach-Bischoff METHOD (allocations by the
>largest divisor) was the same as
>allocation by the Droop quota but with the faulty allocation of any
>remaining places by the largest
>remainder replaced by the d'Hondt rule.

That's my understanding, too, if "faulty allocation" means the seats
not yet allocated.

D'Hondt can be viewed as an algorithm for finding a suitable quota.
In the original d'Hondt you start with the total vote of the largest
party and go on until all seats are allocated. It's unnecessary to do
all this work if you start from the Droop quota. It is never too
small.

Olli Salmi