[EM] the value of first choice votes

James Green-Armytage jarmyta at antioch-college.edu
Thu Jul 24 14:07:57 PDT 2003

Alex Small wrote:
>So where do we go?  These subjective arguments about "giving greater
>priority to first choices" vs. "use as much information as possible" can't
>really be resolved, because neither one really refutes the other.  The
>only thing to do is get into the nitty-gritty about what can happen in
>each method and why each phenomenon is either desirable or undesirable.

I (James) reply:
	Yeah, right on. That was the point of my post on July 9th, titled "the
value of first choice votes". I thought that it was kind of a groovy
little manifesto on this exact topic, but so far I haven't noticed anyone
commenting on it. Should I just assume that everyone agrees? Can it be
used as an effective argument in favor of Condorcet and against the
objections of anti-Condorcet pro-IRV advocates?