[EM] condorcet loser elimination PR

Rob Speer rspeer at MIT.EDU
Tue Jul 22 20:38:02 PDT 2003

On Tue, Jul 22, 2003 at 09:23:20PM -0500, Adam Tarr wrote:
> This sort of issue crops up in PR versions of both approval and COndorcet
> that ate conducted in a SEQUENTIAL fashion.  That is, methods that pick one
> candidate, then re-weight, then pick another, et cetera.  In order to avoid
> these problems, you have to devise a way to compare entire slates of
> candidates to one another.

But has anyone devised a method to compare entire slates of candidates
that reaches a decision without, well, comparing every possible slate of
candidates?

An important criterion of an election method, to me, is that it runs in
polynomial time in the number of candidates. So far, the only
proportional methods I've seen that satisfy this are list PR, STV, and
sequential PAV.

--
Rob Speer