[EM] Re: alternate proportional method

Stephane Rouillon stephane.rouillon at sympatico.ca
Mon Jul 21 20:35:13 PDT 2003

I do understand well STV. The sentence you quote is out of the context of its
discussion. However, I was not precise enough. This is what I meant:

>From all candidates of a party, "STV only allows comparison between
the candidates <snip> running in the same multi-member constituency. You
cannot compare all candidates of the same party because, to
my knowledge, all candidates of the same party do not run in
the same constituency."
Of course, STV allows comparison between all candidates running in the
constituency,
including those of other parties... the "only" did not apply to them.

SPPA does allow comparison of all candidates of the same party, even between
different constituencies because their electorate are "equivalent", which
means
they use samples of the whole electorate with the same proportions of any
possible specific group of interest.

I really agree with James about what follows so I'll move to the other post,
where I believe we disagree...

Stephane.