[EM] STV district magnitude

stephane.rouillon at sympatico.ca stephane.rouillon at sympatico.ca
Mon Jul 21 09:41:02 PDT 2003

Alex,

what you say is very exact for free associations of voters,
however it does not apply to well-assigned districts.

Please explain to me what specific advantages a candidate could
give to its electorate when his/her district is formed with
the people born between January 1st and January 5th of any year?

With an exception for persons born February 29th, such a system
can effectively produce 73 virtual districts, equivalent in
"profession, political preference, or personal whim, or whatever".
Until humanity produces religions or ethnic groups based on
their birth date, this seems one nice way to produce "equivalent" districts...

So I agree with you about those undesirable features,
and I am against one national mega-district. IMHO, many
single-membered virtual districts avoid crowded lists,
can be fully proportional and still is coherent with your remarks.

Stephane